Beginning Educator Success Team Position
Agreement of operation between Kansas Team Ag Ed, including Kansas Association of Agriculture Educators, Kansas State University, and the Kansas FFA Foundation. This agreement will cover the details of funds from KAAE to be combined with funding provided by Kansas FFA Foundation to staff a position in Kansas to provide on-site coaching and additional resources to Kansas Agricultural Education teachers in their first year of teaching Agriculture Education in Kansas High Schools. While the program is identified as the Beginning Educator Success Team. (BEST), this is the role of the school-based consultant.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The primary goal of this position is to create viable programs of agricultural education and to improve agriculture teacher retention.
To serve on behalf of Kansas Agricultural Education, as the Beginning Educator Support Team (BEST) school-based consultant. This position will serve as an advocate and coach to the local agriculture teacher and program, and administration, and provide on-site resources for successful implementation of local agricultural education programs; with a focus on teachers in year one of their professional career. This position will also serve as a communication conduit regarding the training of new agriculture education teachers to Kansas Team Ag Ed and Kansas Agricultural Education joint staff.
The school-based consultant will be an independent contract position with the Kansas FFA Foundation for up to 100 days annually at a rate of $200 per day in compensation. Kansas FFA Foundation will issue the contract agreed upon by KAAE, Team Ag Ed and FFA Foundation Executive Director. Monthly reports of activity along with expense records will be submitted to the Kansas FFA Foundation director. The Kansas FFA Foundation will act as fiscal agent for distribution of funds for salary and operating expenses after monthly reports are approved.
Supervision of BEST staff will be performed jointly by FFA Foundation Director Kansas Team Ag ed. Annual performance review will solicit input from State FFA Advisor, KAAE, and KSU Agricultural Education faculty. Termination of the position, if needed, will be through joint agreement of FFA Foundation Director and Kansas Team Ag Ed representatives.
Foundation will facilitate accumulation of funds from other organizations to provide resources for travel and other operational costs the BEST program will incur. These funds will also be administered by FFA Foundation.
Applications will be accepted until June 9.
For more information please contact Beth Gaines (email@example.com).
More details below:
Support of all agricultural education teachers in Kansas (with emphasis on probationary status teachers) by:
- Conducting on-site visit to first-year teachers preferable within the first 90 days of school. Additional visits in the spring as scheduling allows or as requested by school administrator or teacher.
- Meeting with administration as part of on-site visit as available.
- Facilitating distance conferences, working with program coordinator (Brandi Disberger) with teachers to enable in-time delivery of information essential for successful program operation.
- Meeting with beginning teachers and participating in trainings as a part of KAAE Mid-Winter Symposium and K-ACTE summer conference.
- Provide coaching and share experiences regarding a variety school district operations, expectations, and challenges that may be encountered by an early career teacher.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possess leadership skills, human relations skills, and knowledge of agriculture, agricultural education, and agricultural organizations
- Ability to manage a expense budget and organizational calendar
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to use distance communication platforms (Zoom)
- Possess excellent organizing, scheduling and prioritizing skills, including planning and delivery of professional development workshops and conferences
- Understanding of the educational environment in secondary schools
- Ability to work effectively with leadership of Kansas Team Ag Ed
- Familiarity with applications utilized in agricultural education including, but not limited to, FFA.org, the AET, JudgingCard, and Social
Education and Experience
• Bachelor Degree required
• Significant experience teaching in agricultural education at secondary level.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS – SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:
• A letter of application – maximum of two pages
• A current professional resume
• Name, affiliation, relationship and contact information of three professional references
Submit all application materials electronically in a single pdf document uploading information here:
Additional questions may be directed to Beth Gaines
Kansas FFA Foundation Executive Director
Application Deadline: June 9, 2023
Interviews: To be determined with finalists
Independent Contract Beginning date: July 18, 2023
Position Evaluation: Annual KAAE Meeting, January 2024
COMPENSATION AND TRAVEL
• The Independent Contractor will be paid $200 per day, annually up to 100 working days per year and will be issued a 1099 for those hours paid.
• The Independent Contractor will be provided an budget for travel, office supplies, and expenses related to the work of the role connected to the BEST program.
OFFICE SPACE, OFFICE EQUIPMENT AND INTERNET ACCESS
• The Independent Contractor shall provide their own office space, computer, other office equipment, cell phone, and Internet access
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES
• Position requires extensive travel. Employee must have a valid driver’s license, his or her own vehicle and be willing to travel by car and commercial airlines, and to spend multiple days at a time away from home. A vehicle may be provided for the contractor to complete their duties as the BEST on-site school consultant, but in the case of using a personal vehicle, mileage will be paid.
• Frequently required to sit for extended periods of time, reach with arms and hands, talk, see and hear
• May be required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds